Youth Basketball Dribbling Drills:
Youth basketball dribbling drills need to focus on the basics, and although I'm categorizing this as a "youth" drill, players of all ages will get good practice from this simple drill.
The 8 chair drill is a straight-forward drill that has the players focus on fundamental dribbling moves. It is a great opportunity for players to improve the skills they will use often in the game.
Youth Basketball Dribbling Drills: 8 Chairs
- Set up chairs as in the diagram - 8 chairs in total, at the foul lines extended, half court line, under each basket
- Players line up at one corner, each with a ball
- Players dribble around each chair using the specified dribbling move, making sure that the ball is always dribbled with the outside hand (away from the chair)
- When they finish one round, players stay at the opposite end and wait for everyone to finish. The drill is then repeated in the opposite direction.
Youth Basketball Dribbling Drills: 8 Chairs Dribbling Moves
Use the following sequence of dribbling moves, with players performing the move at each chair, and then starting the next move on the next round.
- Circles - players circle each chair, changing hands at each chair so that they practice dribbling with both left and right hands
- Crossover - at each chair, players perform a crossover dribble, again changing hands at each chair so that they practice both left and right hand moves
- Reverse Dribble - at each chair, players perform a reverse dribble or fake a reverse dribble, again changing hands at each chair so that they practice both left and right hand moves
- Follow the Leader - group players into groups of 3 or 4; have the first player of the group go through the course, mixing up the moves he does at each chair - can be crossover, behind the back, reverse, circle, dribbling under the chair - anything at all. Players that follow must imitate what the leader does.
This is a good dribbling drill for practicing basic ball handling fundamentals. Use it especially at the beginning of the preseason, when much of your focus will be on fundamental skills, and have players perform the moves as fast as they can while still maintaining good ball control.
View more Youth Basketball Dribbling Drills here
Go to the Better Basketball Coaching home page